Mars is the fourth planet from the Solar and the second-smallest planet within the Photo voltaic System after Mercury .
In English, Mars carries a reputation of the Roman god of warfare , and is sometimes called the “Pink Planet“ as a result of the iron oxide prevalent on its floor offers it a reddish look that’s distinctive among the many astronomical our bodies seen to the bare eye.
Mars is a terrestrial planet with a skinny ambiance , having floor options reminiscent each of the affect craters of the Moon and the valleys, deserts, and polar ice caps of Earth .
- Like Earth, Mars has differentiated right into a dense metallic core overlaid by much less dense supplies.
- This iron(II) sulfide core is regarded as twice as wealthy in lighter parts as Earth’s.
- The core is surrounded by a silicate mantle that shaped most of the tectonic and volcanic options on the planet.
- Components within the Martian crust are iron, magnesium , aluminum , calcium , and potassium .
- The typical thickness of the planet’s crust is about 50 km (31 mi).
- Earth’s crust averages 40 km (25 mi).
You possibly can additional customise your web site utilizing Apps & Integrations.